Moving to a new country is one of the most stressful tasks for anyone. You probably had to migrate through different countries and cities in the U.S. before making Houston your final destination. With a little guidance, you can settle into your new life in this large city and start building your future. Read below to learn about some tools for recent migrants to get your life on drive.
Getting familiar with the City of Houston
Houston is the fourth-largest city in the U.S. with a population of 2.3M+ and as such, it can be a bit intimidating at first when you arrive. However, Houston is known for its friendly and welcoming atmosphere. There are many resources available for newcomers, including community centers and organizations specifically dedicated to helping recent immigrants.
- To start, visit the City of Houston website at houstontx.gov. This website provides lots of resources that include housing, events, cultural affairs, news, how to get around, and much more. When visiting the website, search for Office of New Americans and Immigrant Communities. This is a good source for recent migrants on how to obtain citizenship if needed, and other resources for recent residents from other countries.
- Second, visit the HAR website for housing. HAR is Houston’s Association of Realtors and is the go-to site if you need to find a place for rent or purchase, whether that be a house, condo, or apartment. You will find that the cost of living in Houston is relatively affordable compared to other major cities in the U.S., but it is still very important to create a budget and plan your finances carefully.
- Another important aspect is to familiarize yourself with the city and its culture. Houston’s greater area is the most ethnically diverse city in the U.S. with at least 145 languages spoken and 90 nations represented with consular offices. This city offers a vibrant arts scene, excellent restaurants, and plenty of opportunities to explore. Whether you're interested in sports, music, or museums, there's something for everyone. Be sure to check out the city's many festivals and events throughout the year, such as the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo – the city’s largest festival, the Texas Renaissance Festival, the Houston International Jazz Festival, and the Houston Art Car Parade, among others.
Another important step in building your new life in Houston is finding a job. There are many industries in Houston, including healthcare, energy, technology, and manufacturing. Depending on your skills and experience, you may be able to find work in one of these fields or others. The Texas Workforce Commission is a great place to start your job search. You can also search online for job openings in your field.
Getting around in Houston
While Houston has been expanding its public transportation with metro buses and metro rail, getting around is very difficult. Public transportation can be useful if you settle close to the inner city or within city limits. However, if you settle in one of the suburbs, or out of city limits, most likely you will need a car. With a size of 665 square miles, you will need a car to get around this large and expansive city. Houston extends its territory to Galveston, Sugar Land, Woodlands, Kingwood, Katy, etc. These areas are miles away from each other. You will be limited to getting around and learning the city without a vehicle. Fortunately, we will guide you in finding the place that will help you in finding a vehicle that will get your life on drive so you can move forward.
Finding a used car to get around in Houston
Buying a car as a recent immigrant can be an uphill mission. How can you buy a car if you have a limited budget and no credit as a newcomer? While most car dealerships require you to have good credit to finance a car, others don’t require this to help you find a vehicle to suit your needs. As a newcomer, it is more beneficial to start with a used car.
You will find many used car dealerships in Houston but be cautious. Choose a used car dealership you can trust and that cares for its customers. If you are trying to find the best-used car dealership in Houston, there are a few things to keep in mind.
Selecting a legacy-brand auto dealer
- Look for a legacy-brand dealership. A legacy-brand dealership is one that has been in business for over 25 years and believes in giving back to the community. There are many dealers that don’t last. But a trustworthy dealer will be in business in the long run.
- Visit a dealership with a vast inventory of vehicles for you to choose from. This allows you to find a car that meets your needs and budget.
- If you don’t have credit yet in the U.S., look for a dealership that offers in-house financing with buy-here, pay-here options. This means that the dealership provides financing for the car directly, rather than working with a bank or another lending institution. This option is best suitable as banks require a load of documents to provide financing that you may lack. A used-auto dealer that offers in-house financing is more willing to work with you and provide financing options to help you get the vehicle you need without exploring your legal status or further documentation.
Choosing the best-used car Dealership in Houston
As you start your search for a legacy-brand used car dealership in the Houston area, consider checking Shabana Motors. Shabana Motors is a family-owned and operated business that has been delivering exceptional used cars to the Houston community for over 40 years under the same name and same location. With a great selection of cars and buy-here, pay-here in-house financing options, they’ve been Houston’s trusted used car dealership since 1979.
Furthermore, Shabana Motors believes it is a privilege and collective responsibility in giving back to the community. For several years, they have been helping students at Texas Southern University (TSU) with financial hurdles finish their college education by funding scholarships so they can pay their tuition.
Shabana Motors is a great choice if you are new to Houston and have no credit or bad credit. Founded by an immigrant, they stand by the principle of offering an opportunity to all new residents in Houston. They will work with you in finding a financing solution for your situation. It is very easy to purchase a car at Shabana Motors. All you need is proof of address, proof of income, and down payment.
Visit Shabana Motors and learn the many reasons why you should buy a used car at Shabana Motors to get your life on drive.